Skip to main content

20 LINGALA WORDS YOU SHOULD KNOW THEIR MEANINGS

Over the last couple of years the Lingala language has gained and continues to gain unprecedented popularity in Kenya. Many Kenyans now can speak fluent Lingala. Some even sing in the langauge! I'm talking about Papa Fololo, Igwe Prezda Bandasson, Awilo Mike of Jamnazi Africa, Fofona Bangali and myself, just to name but a few. Part of the reason for this popularity is: Lingala is easy to learn (For Lingala-Swahili similarities, click here). I mean, it is ridiculously easy. So easy, in fact, it takes just a few months. Forget about the Lingala you hear in songs that's bedeviled with iterations of Lingalized French (Hahah, what does that even mean?). I'm talking about Lingala in its purest form here, the one not polluted with foreign languages. Well, before I bore you to death with detail, I'm happy to present you here with 20 popular lingala words and phrases I thought you could be interested in knowing their meaning. Let's get right into it, shall we?

1.Bolingo Na Ngai. 'Bolingo na ngai' is probably the one phrase you pick out the most from Congolese songs. 'Bolingo' means 'love'. 'Ngai' means "me" or 'I'. Therefore bolingo na Ngai literally means “My love”. The title for Alicios’ song ‘Posa ya Bolingo’ means ‘Thirst for Love’. Posa is the lingala word for thirst. I am aware that in Luo language "bolingo na ngai" means ‘empty handed’ but that is not what it means in Lingala.
2.Pasi. I know what you are thinking, but "pasi" is not an iron box. Pasi literally means ‘pain’. And this is not limited to physical pain but includes the kind of hurt you feel in your heart. When Fally Ipupa sings ‘bolingo esalaka pasi’ in his hit song ‘Associe’ what he means is that "love causes pain". You will also frequently hear ‘pasi elekeli ngai’ or ‘nazalaka na pasi na motema’ which means, literally ‘I’m full of pain’ and ‘I have (a lot of) pain in my heart’ respectively. A little trivia; Bana System (a musical band under the leadership of one Letis Madilu: the late Madilu System's son) released a song in 2017 or thereabout titled "Pasi na Motema" to mourn the passing of Madilu.
3.Posa. I already said that "posa" means thirst (it's sometimes styled as "mposa" for some weird reason). "Posa ya mayi" is thirst for water. Ozoyoka bien?
4.Bandeko. Bandeko is the plural for Ndeko. Ndeko generally means brother (or sister). To make the distintion between brother and sister you’ll often hear ‘Ndeko ya mwasi’ that is sister and Ndeko ya mobali which means brother.  Of course mwasi means ‘woman’ and mobali means man. In the song ‘Letters’ by Franco Luambo Makiadi, part of the chorus goes ‘bandeko na basi yo yo yo, balingaka basi ya bandeko mibali te. Mpo na nini-o yo yo yo?’ Translated literally it means ‘Sisters, they don’t love the wives of their brothers. Why?’ I’ve translated it literally so that you can infer the meanings of the individual words. "Wait", you may object, "loboko ya mobali" means "right hand!"" And you'd be right. The left and right hands in Lingala are denoted "loboko ya mwasi" and "Loboko ya mibali" repectively. But that shouldnt surprise us because a word can have more than one meaning, can't it?
5. Bakulutu. Bakulutu are elder brothers, same as we say ‘Kaka’ in Swahili. But the meaning is much broader than that. It includes elders that are not necessarily the biological brothers of the speaker or more appropriately ‘wazee’.
6. Komesana is a verb that means ‘to get used to’ or ‘to be fond of’. You’ll mostly hear it in love songs. In the song Ngungi (Kinshasa Makambo) by Franco and Tabu Ley, Franco says, “Likambo bamesana na yango bakoki kotika te”, that is, “they can’t stop doing what they’re used to do”.
7.Kolinga is ‘to love’ It is the root word from which we get "nalingi" which means "I love.." and bolingo (love). Nalingi yo means I love you. Nalingi ye means I love him/her. Madilu System asks in his song Ya Jean, Balingaka moto ndenge nini papa?” translating to, “How do they love someone, papa?”. I know that doesn’t make much sense to you because the meaning is lost in translation. But it is just the voice of a frustrated lover asking the beloved how he (the beloved) would want to be loved/appreciated because she has apparently tried many different ways without success. I overheard in some song an artiste saying, "Kolinga mobali mpona mbongo te." What do you think this means? Please reply in the comments section.
8.Mokolo. Without wasting your time ‘mokolo’ means ‘day’. It is one of the most frequently used word in songs. Igwe Prezida Bandasson sings in one of his songs, ‘Mokolo nini okozonga, papa’ that is, “which day will you return, papa?”  The plural of mokolo is mikolo meaning ‘days’. Tabu Ley sung, ‘Mokolo nakokufa nani akolela ngai?’ that is, ‘The day I will die, who will mourn for me?’ Mokolo can easily be confused with makolo, but the two are rather different. "Makolo" are the "feet" just like maboko are hands.
9.Mosusu. Mosusu just means ‘another’. Therefore moto mosusu is another person. Mokolo mosusu is another day and likambo mosusu is another issue. Remember this popular line by Madilu System? ‘Ntago mosusu ezali oyo ya nsuka. Oyo etikali na kati ya elanga…’ He was speaking of a rose flower. Translation: ‘May be it is the last one. The only one remaining in the garden. Depending on the noun class, mosusu can sometimes be rendered "lisusu" for example, mboka lisusu (another country). In fact I should have said up there "likambo lisusu" instead of likambo mosusu." No big difference though, it's just grammar.
10.Mokili Many Swahili speakers would imagine that mokili means brains or wits. Far from it. Mokili means ‘Earth’ or ‘World’. ‘Mokili oyo etonda makambo ebele’ Is a popular Igwe Bandason verse. It means ‘This world is full of problems’. One can say, "mokili oyo eza mboka na biso te" that is, "this world is not our home". I was recently informed by someone that in Siaya (Kenya), many people take the word mokili to mean "money". This can be attributed to a miss-understanding of Ochieng' Kabaselleh's song "Piny Dunia Mokili" which may have led people to think that Kabaselleh meant to say that money is indispensable in life. To the contrary, the title of that song is just one word translated in three languages: Luo, Swahili and Lingala.
11.Konyokola is ‘to mistreat’ or ‘persecute’. You probably hear it in Ferre Gola’s song titled ‘Vita Imana’ where Ferre Gola sings, ‘Mpo nini naminyokola nzoto na ngai pamba..?’ that is, ‘Why am I mistreating my body (myself) for nothing…?’ Fronco Luambo lamented in 'Matata ya Muasi na Mibali': Nzambe apesi ngai lisumu nabotaka basi, bandeko, banyokolo bana ya bato..’ That is: God cursed me so that I give birth to girls, my brothers, they will mistreat other people’s sons... And just to make this clear "pamba" doesn't mean 'cotton' like it does in Swahili. It actually means, 'naught, empty or nothing'. "Maboko pamba" which is a title of one of Ferre Gola's songs means "empty handed".
12.Mibali is just the plural of mobali. Mobali is man, mibali men. But as I have already alluded to above, it can also mean "right" as in, right hand. Madilu System sung in Eau Benite, "Balobi kaba na loboko ya mobali ya mwasi amona te.." which translates to, "they say that an offering on the right hand, the left shouldn't see." Loboko (hand) is singular for maboko (hands).
13.Mpo na nini Is the lingala phrase for asking why. It simply means ‘why?’ Mpo na nini makambo mabe esalamaka/ekomelaka batu malamu - why do bad things happen to good people? Extra Musica in their popular gig ‘Losambo’ ask, “Ah, Nzambe Tata, yo okeli ngai nsima ya biloko biso ya nse. Yo opesi moto mayele koleka biloko nionso yo okela. Mpo na nini, ngai te?” Translating roughly to ‘Ah, God my father, you created all things. You gave man more wisdom than everything else you created. Why not me?’
14.Nzambe is God. Nzambe na ngai means ‘My God’. Nzambe apambola yo means ‘God bless you’.
15.Nzoto is the body. Nzoto na ngai is ‘my body’.
16.Makambo is a big word. I can’t think of any Lingala song in which it is not mentioned. It can mean anything from issue, problem to crisis. Makambo is the plural of Likambo. When Madilu System in Sansa ya Papier asks, “Likambo nini Nzambe asala biso mibali tosalelaka basi…?” He is simply asking why God created men to work while women enjoy the fruits thereof.
17.Malamu means ‘good’ or ‘well’. It is also the reply to such greetings as, Ndenge nini (How are you?), Nsango nini? (Habari/What news?) or Ozali malamu? (Are you well?). Nzambe aza malamu means ‘God is good’.Kende malamu literally means "go well" but can be more appropriately translated to "goodbye". And then there's "tikala malamu" which literally means "remain well" but can also mean "goodbye".
18. Motema is the heart. "Motema na ngai" means "my heart". Koffi Olomide once sung, “Motema ya moi lelo ekomi ndako ya mawa” translated, “My heart has nowadays become the house of sorrow". Do not get confused by word "moi", it's french. 'Motema pembe' means 'white heart' or 'a pure heart'. Pembe is the colour white, moindo is black.
19. Ndako is home. When Otieno Small sings ‘Zonga na ndako’ he doesn’t mean to say ‘Crawl on your buttocks’ as a Swahili speaker may interpret it. It actually means “Come back home”. Do not confuse between ndako and mboka. While ndako is used mostly to mean "house" or "home", mboka generally refers to "home area or country". You'll remember in the song 1200 letter, Franco says in one part, "Mikanda nazwi (or nazui) ya basi ya mabala na mboka Cameroun", and later again, "mikanda nazwi ya basi ya mabala na mboka Togo"... well, he meant, "I have letters from the married women of the country Cameroon/Togo.." "nazwi" means "I've got", "I have", or "I received". "Mabala" are marriages, and "mikanda" are letters, just as it is in Swahili. So, you can say, "nawuti na mboka Kenya" which means, "I'm from the country Kenya".
20.Sekele. Last and equally least we have this word which means secret. It is actually a corruption of the French word “secret.” In faulte ya Visa Madilu System sung, "Sekele na ngai ya bomwana eza nde na sac a main na yo.." which means, "the secret of my childhood is in your handbag." Makes sense?

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed kenyan thought. For I am studying Lingala. Mérci mingi mpe Nzambe apombola yo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jorge Luiz. Nazali na esengo mingi mpo an koyoka kowuta yo

      Delete
    2. I am a fabric of the lingala songs. I really enjoyed this. Put more please

      Delete
    3. Ngai in Kamba means God

      Delete
  2. bolingo na ngai does not exist in luo. I am a Luo and those words are more bantu than they are nilote if at all...still...beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it is not a luo word but it has been given meaning in dholuo... eg. dhako wuotho bolingo, kidi oba ei toke.

      Delete
    2. Bolingo is actually a Luo word but not the phrase "Bolingo na ngai". Bolingo means naked or empty. Ngai is also a Luo word for a paddle--what we use to roar a boat.

      Otherwise, very grateful for this. I could now construct some simple phrase. Like for example, I have just told my wife that I love her in Lingala and she never knew what I was talking about. It's a breath of fresh air to speak a new language.

      Delete
    3. The Luo word for naked is 'linglo'. Bolingo came into luo lingua at the advent of Congolese songs. Boligo was corrupted to mean naked or "fwaa" because it rhymes with the 'linglo'

      Delete
  3. I have fondly enjoyed this lingala piece, for I love lingala music...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can now make out. I heard Super mazembe sing" salima oyebaka mokili ya makambo " which I can now loosely translate Salina you know the world has issues. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woooow.. I have really enjoyed this..
    Ndeko na ngai Nzambe apambola yò
    Haa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to get a tattoo that reads "i love my family" would the translation be "na lingi bandeko ngai" ? - merci :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nzambe apambola yo this has been my best Lingala class I really need to learn this language am dying to know this language since my childhood

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have realised 50% of lingala words are similar and same meaning as in meru language. No wonder we were told Bantu came from Congo forest

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a Nigerian born Cameroonian i love lingala songs soo much,and your translation hhas helped me understand them very well,nalingi you,mokolo nini ozonga mobal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am a nigerian but I love the lingala songs and their language. My problem is who will teach me?

      Delete
  10. I'm Benson from Tanzania i love lingala

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this. Bolingo Na ngai. Nzambe apambola yo 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh my God (Nzambe na ngai ), Nalingi yo all (I love you all ). I really learned and enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ENJOY LINGALA AS I LEARN IT BECAUSE I LIKE LINGALA MUSIC.

      Delete
  13. This is beautiful piece. As a Yoruba speaking Nigerian, I can say' naliki yo nzambe' meaning 'I love you God.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also enjoy lingala very much one could think that the language was briught in the world for singing

      Delete
  14. Great post indeed. It has realy enlightened me some. I am Zambian and play Zairean music 99% even if I do not understand the meaning. Mopao - Olomide is my favourire!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ndeko na ngai melesi mingi penza. Butu elamu. Kombo ngai Clement, na wuti na Nigeria. Na vandaka na America. Nalingi lingala mingi penza.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful piece of information...you teach well too, please write more articles. Iam a Zambian lady that loves to learn other languages. I need this as I will be frequenting DRC boarders more.Merci mingi...Nzambe apambola yo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Na lingi yo lingala, kombo ngai Mutunga. Na wuti Kenya

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I wish I had this in the late 60s early 70s. Please do some more.
    Nzambe apombola yo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What does the word biso mean in lingala.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miso means eyes and biso means ours. I stand to be corrected

      Delete
    2. You're actually quite correct. Biso means "we" and Miso are eyes (singular: "liso"). Ours would be "na biso", for example "Tata na biso na likolo" means our father who art in Heaven.. Thank you for the comments

      Delete
  20. I love the piece. What does finga mean? I hear it a lot in many songs

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow😱, have really enjoyed learning it, am a Ugandan born Congolese yaa unfortunately I don't know lingala language yaa at least I have picked up some words. Nzambe apambola yo🙏🙏🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a sweet language,many have been saying these words in Kenya without using the words rightfully.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What does "telemise ngai na pongi" mean?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Enjoyed the info very much, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lingala is the dessert of my heart thank you

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bolingo na ngai is commonly used among certain Luo youth, those who loved Lingala songs. It's just a corruption of Lingala to mean empty handed or nothing at all. Not perfect Luo as one may think.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow!!! I really l9ve the Lingala class cuz a friend of mine is from The Congo-Brazza

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very edifying. This is a Great lesson for all rhumba music enthusiasts. Now after realising how close my kimeru language is to lingala I will learn this language with renewed vigour. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ooh nime enjoy sana

    Jah bless

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nzambe Minene! Thank you so much for this article

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for the information. I came here for an explanation of bolingo which I hear in songs repeatedly when listening to Congolese music from one of my favorite foreign fm stations, Radio Okapi. Thanks so much for satisfying my curiosity .

    ReplyDelete
  32. Bolingo na Nzambe.....Mbeere present

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ni ukurasa mzuri walau sasa najua mbote,ngai,mibali,mwasi,merci,na kadhali ,asante

    ReplyDelete
  34. Bravo im self teaching lingla just love the language .thank you for the lesson. One day i will speak the language.

    ReplyDelete
  35. bolingo in kikuyu means the manhood

    ReplyDelete
  36. Some one kindly send me a full English translation of Madilu Systems 'Sansa Ya Papier'.... on lukomwajoemark@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. kindly share the lyrics of fally ipupa bafana song in control album .I love the song I'm from central zambia
    thank you,
    mumba sidney

    ReplyDelete
  38. Nzambe apambola yo ..
    I've really enjoyed it!

    I believe one day I'll get to know lingala

    ReplyDelete
  39. Nzambe apambola yo ndeko ya mobali ngai.
    Please send me a bill for my tuition. I am an African DJ in a radio station in the USA WHCJ. I play African music and our show is called Ogene. I get fruatrated when my listerners call to ask me what the beautiful soukus and rumba we play is saying and I have no answer because I can speak neither French nor Lingala. My name is Uncle Onyegwu and I am from Biafra. I play music from the original source; music from where it all began. Much respect for you my brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very correct 👍 my brother from another mother... Am also a Biafran by birth.
      JESSE DANIEL CHUKWUDI. Lingala music remains the Best..

      Delete
  40. Nzambi apambola yo ndeko na ngai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really enjoyed the piece: Bolingo na ngai na yesu bolingo la sukate'

      Delete
  41. Really enjoyed the piece: Bolingo na ngai na yesu bolingo la sukate'

    ReplyDelete
  42. i need someone to translate the song ki si ya soni done by emanuel and the majaabu choir

    ReplyDelete
  43. lets make lingala one of the east africa LANGUAGES now that DRC is joining[EA COMMUNITY] to add on kiswahili..merci ndeko ya mobali..

    ReplyDelete
  44. Candidat na biso, Mobutu...

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love Lingala songs. Pasi in Shona means down.

    ReplyDelete
  46. What does kolo mean

    ReplyDelete
  47. Kiswahili has been polluted by Arabic and is no more a presentative African language.let's have lingala in its place

    ReplyDelete
  48. Excellent 👌 piece

    ReplyDelete
  49. je viens de Kenya...Nzambe apambola beacoup

    ReplyDelete
  50. Weldone bro thank you for teaching the world with beautiful language

    ReplyDelete
  51. A true linguist. Even your command for English is flawless. Thank you and give more classes please

    ReplyDelete
  52. Replies
    1. Kombo na ngai Moro. Nalingi Lingala. Na wuti Kenya. merci beaucoup.

      Delete
  53. I am from Sierra Leone. I love Lingala so much and Congolese people as well.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Ambassador Leeroy Wilfred Kabs Kanu8 August 2023 at 21:26

    Ambassador Leeroy Wilfred Kabs Kanu

    ReplyDelete
  55. Thanks and I have a swell provide: Who Repairs House Siding home repairs contractors

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 POPULAR LINGALA PHRASES EVERY RUMBA LOVER MUST KNOW

Lingala is probably the fastest growing indigenous African language largely due to Congolese music (Rumba, soukous, chatchto and the like). Some of the greatest composers and singers in Africa have sung in this language producing some renown hit songs that have dominated the African airwaves for decades while introducing some endearing phrases and catchphrases that never just never fade from our collective memory. Lingala is reputed as Africa's most romantic language and it has surely lived up to this reputation. Lingala phrases are a pure joy to listen to, especially when you understand them. Some of these phrases are priceless pieces of wisdom while some overflow with sardonic humor and wit. But one thing is for sure, these phrases are simply unforgettable, for one reason or another. Maybe it's because we tend to be fascinated with exotic languages and ideas. Or maybe, the Congolese people are just damn good at composing music. Either way, their singing, their music and mann

TOP 5 LUO BENGA SONGS AND MUSICIANS OF ALL TIME

Luo benga is a crowded scene. It is a boiling pot teeming with hundreds of artistes, both dead and alive, young and old, males and females jostling for space in this very competitive music world.We have legends like the late George Ramogi, the late Owino Missiani (also known as DO Missiani), The late Okatch Biggy, the late Prince July, the late Prince Kassam, the late Omondi Tony, the late Kollela Maze, The late Kodiyo, to sample but a few. We also have an emerging crop of young talents like Dolla Kabarry, George Dume, Otieno Small, Kamaliza Majengo, Aluoch Jamaranda, Reggie Kabaselle  (son of the late Ochieng Kabaselleh ), Aluoch Jipanoran, Ogina KoKo, Omondi Longlilo, Jerry Jalamo Ka'John  and Osito Kalle to mention but a few. We cannot all agree who is the best and I am not going to impose my choices on you. But we can agree that from the long list of Benga artists in Luoland a few names stand out and a few songs stand out from the bunch like giraffe in heard of gazelles (well,